A milk brioche is a rich, tender, and slightly sweet bread that’s perfect for enjoying as a breakfast treat or as a base for delicious sandwiches. Here’s how you can make a delightful milk brioche at home:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110°F or 45°C)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Activate the Yeast:
- In a small bowl, combine the warm milk and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk mixture and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, or until foamy.
- Mix the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, remaining sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture and eggs. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Knead the Dough:
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Incorporate the Butter:
- Gradually add the softened butter to the dough, kneading until it’s fully incorporated and the dough is soft and slightly sticky.
- First Rise:
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it’s doubled in size.
- Shape the Brioche:
- Punch down the risen dough and turn it out onto a floured surface. Divide it into equal portions, depending on the shape you want to create (loaf, rolls, etc.). Shape the portions into the desired form and place them in greased baking pans.
- Second Rise:
- Cover the shaped dough with the kitchen towel again and let it rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Egg Wash and Bake:
- Brush the top of the shaped dough with the beaten egg. This will give the brioche a beautiful golden color when baked.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the brioche is nicely browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool and Enjoy:
- Once baked, remove the brioche from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and enjoying.
Credit: Healthy Juice