Indulge in the delightful flavors of tender baked chicken legs smothered in a rich and creamy mushroom sauce. This dish is a perfect balance of savory and creamy, making it a go-to option for a comforting dinner. Plus, it’s easy to prepare and will impress your family and guests. Let’s get started!
|Flour (gluten-free optional)||1/4 cup|
|Ground black pepper||1/4 teaspoon|
|Chicken legs (large)||2 lb (about 3-4 legs)|
|Olive oil||2.5 tablespoons|
|Mushrooms (sliced in half)||9 oz|
|Garlic cloves (minced)||2|
|Olive oil (if needed)||1 tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||1 cup|
|Heavy cream||1/2 cup|
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper. On a large plate, dredge the chicken legs in this seasoned flour mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken legs skin side down and brown them for about 4 minutes until the skin turns a nice golden color.
- Flip the chicken legs over to the other side and brown them for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the browned chicken legs and set them aside. Also, remove any excess olive oil that got too dark from browning the chicken with the flour mixture.
- To the same, now empty skillet, add the mushrooms (sliced in half) and minced garlic. Add an extra tablespoon of olive oil (if needed) and sauté them together on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the skillet, scraping up the browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and stir.
- Place the chicken legs back in the pan.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to simmer on low-medium.
- Simmer the chicken legs for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked through, and the juices run clear when the chicken is cut in the middle.
- Remove the cooked chicken legs to a plate and keep them warm.
- Turn the heat under the skillet to medium-high, and simmer the mushroom sauce for about 4 minutes until it is reduced by about a third.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup of heavy cream into the mushroom sauce and simmer for another 2 minutes on low-medium heat, constantly stirring and scraping from the bottom of the skillet, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken legs back to the skillet to warm them up.
Serve your baked chicken legs with creamy mushroom sauce hot and enjoy this delicious homemade meal!